Fastpitch Masters Blog
Fastpitch Softball camps that promote the growth of the athletes and coaches.
Softball has a reputation of being a scrappy game and that comes with players who can bunt! Bunting is an underappreciated part of our game. While bunting may not be as exciting as hitting a home run, it can be a deadly tool especially for slappers. There are various types of bunt you can do to throw off the defense and give you the best chance to get on base or advance your teammates. In this blog we’ll be telling you the different types of bunt and how to do them.
- Sac bunt. This is your most basic bunt its purpose is to move a runner to the next base. A sac is shown early and it’s important to bunt the ball into the ground to avoid a player from picking off the runner that’s trying to advance. Sac bunts mean the bunter is sacrificing themselves which means their baiting the defense to focus on getting them out rather than the runner.
- Drag/slap bunt. Unlike the sac, this bunt is used to successfully reach the base. A drag is shown very late to fool fielders and its purpose is to get a runner on base. Drags can be done by any player, but usually faster players will have more success. A slap is similar to a drag, the major difference is you don’t have to run through the ball on a drag like you do when a slapper bunts.
- Push bunt. This bunt is also used to get a runner on base. When a person shows a bunt, the runners will charge the ball to field it. A push bunt aims to push the ball past these fielders so there is nobody behind them to make the play. To do this the player must push the ball through the first baseman, third baseman, and the pitcher.
- Fake/pull back bunt. A fake bunt is done when a player shows bunt, but doesn’t have the intention to actually bunt the ball. Players may show bunt to pull fielders in and then pull the bat back and swing. When a person shows bunt the fielders move into their positions, the corners crash and the middles cover their bases so when someone fake shows bunt and then pulls back to swing they’re hitting a ball into gaps in the infield. This gives hitters a better chance of getting the ball through the infield.
- Squeeze/suicide bunt. This bunt is used to score a runner. When the squeeze sign is given the job of the batter is to make contact with the ball no matter where it’s pitched. The job of the runner on 3rd is to steal home as soon as the pitch is thrown. The batter must try to get the bunt fair or at least foul it off so the runner isn’t caught dead stealing.
Fastpitch Masters Softball Camps
Click the map below to look at camps in your area
120 Camps Nationwide Anually